I have been facilitating movement and co-creative enquiries within diverse communities for 15 years. This has taken the form of movement based support groups for the general community, as well as specific groups for women with postnatal depression and other themed women’s groups.
I developed a programme to support teachers in schools which focuses on nourishment through embodied relaxation, gentle movement and a safe space to share. More on this kind of work through my sister site: Circles of Support.
In my one-to-one practice, I have worked with young adults in the Royal Edinburgh Hospital and those in the community dealing with anxiety, depression, eating disorders, chronic fatigue, bi-polar disorder, pelvic floor health and other structural and functional issues. I continue to do this through Yoga & Movement Therapy.
For over a decade, I have worked with children of all ages in schools. I developed a movement mentorship programme called ‘Girls Allowed’ for pre-teen girls to support them in transitioning times.
My approach is creative and enquiry based, tailored to the needs of each group or individual. I draw heavily upon the principles of Authentic Movement and the work of Miranda Tufnell, Andrea Olsen and Emily Conrad, as well as other somatic movement modalities, gentle yoga, voice work and embodied relaxation.
I am a qualified trauma sensitive Yoga Therapist, specialising in yoga therapeutics for women as well as for mental health and wellbeing. I continue to utilise these tools in my one-to-one work through Yoga & Movement Therapy.
I began exploring yoga and meditation as a child, which led me to spend 5 years living in India and Thailand studying within yogic and mindfulness traditions.
Alongside yoga practice flourishes the intuitive world of my expressive body through dance and somatic movement. I have been traversing the world of conscious dance and somatics for 18 years.
I have completed a Post Graduate Diploma in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing through UCLAN and continue to receive mentoring in somatic practice.
I love to move in nature, as nature, and am deeply influenced by the natural world in how I approach movement as well as how embodiment can offer a resource for deepening our interconnection with our natural world.
My commitment to the Earth:
I have spent some deeply nourishing time exploring other cultures. I travelled overland where possible and also air travel. For me, however, the medicine and gold are no longer found ‘out there’ somewhere. I seek to develop my relationship to place and community by staying rooted where I am.
With consideration of the impact of air travel on climate change, I can no longer justify it and haven’t flown since 2015.
I seek and support local mentors, facilitators, the wisdom of the body and nature to support my continued growth.
I only facilitate within the UK and I only host facilitators from the UK to avoid the carbon footprint of travel.
I use natural and recycled materials in my workshops and source art materials from ethical sources.
I do very little online facilitation due to its environmental impact. I also seek to support relational connection through in person contact.
My practice is rooted in an understanding that body and earth are made of the same stuff. We are the earth as much as we are a part of it. Living this has implications on the ethics of my practice, which are committed to the health of our planet.
Trainings and CPD’s:
- IBMT Diploma Programme – 2021 – Present
- Authentic Movement & Therapeutic Presence Pt. 2 with Linda Hartley 2019 -2020.
- Ongoing Authentic Movement Peer Group – 2018 – present
- Authentic Movement: One to One and small group study with Fran Lavendel – 2015 – present
- One-to-One Authentic Movement Mentoring with Eila Goldhahn – 2017-18
- PG. Diploma ( with Distinction ) in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing through UCLAN. – 2016
- Fluid Development Series: Continuum Movement and BMC with Cherionna Menzam Sills. – 2015
- Continuum Study with Cherionna Menzam Sills – 2014 – present.
- The Four Daughters of Beauty: Earth & Water with Audica Lynne Morley – 2015 / 2016
- Woman, Body, Earth & Spirit workshop: Inanna-Ereshkigal: Authentic Movement Retreat with Linda Hartley – 2015
- Body Centred Awareness with Patrice Hamilton: An exploration of Hakomi, Cortical Field Reeducation (a somatic movement based body work) and Gestalt. (month long intensive at Esalen Institute) – 2014
- Hanna Somatics CPD with Eleanor Criswell Hanna – 2014
- The Embodied Spirit: Dance Movement with Ellen Watson (month long intensive at Esalen Institute) – 2013
- 18 years of dabbling in Feldenkrais, bits and bobs of contact improvisation, Hanna somatics and other somatic forms.
CPD Psychotherapeutic Explorations:
- Beyond Trauma: Power, Connection & the Body with Madelanne Rust-D’eye & Jon Young.
- A body oriented approach to trauma; an introduction to Sensorimotor Psychotherapy with Pat Ogden through Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute – 2019
- “Tables, Fairies and Hyperspaces,” a movement and process work seminar with Kate Jobe – 2019
- In the world of the body: Working with Symptoms and Illness, A Process Work Seminar – 2019
- Hakomi Multi-level training (2 days) with Caroline Braham – 2019
- Foundations of becoming safely embodied with Deirdre Fay – 2018-19
- The Transformative Power of Emotion with Dorothy Charles: Gestalt Relational Psychotherapy, Group Process and Individual Work – 2014
- Body Centred Awareness with Patrice Hamilton: An exploration of Hakomi, Cortical Field Reeducation (a somatic movement based body work) and Gestalt. – 2014
- Introduction to Drama Therapy: The Sesame Institute – 2015
Yoga / Yoga Therapy:
- The Pelvic Floor: Keys to lifelong health with Leslie Howard – 2018
- Yoga and Psyche with Mariana Caplan (a fusion of Yoga Therapy & Somatic Experiencing) – 2013
- The heart of yoga: Mark Whitwell – 2013
- Yoga Therapy trainings with Bo Forbes: Gateway to prana; Yoga – meditation in motion and stillness; Yoga for insomnia; Softening our armour; Neurobiology of the spine; Yoga for emotional Balance; Integrative Yoga Therapeutics. – 2011-2013
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy: Yogacampus – 2012
- Well Women Yoga Therapy with Uma Dinsmore-Tuli – 2011
- Yoga Therapy with Aadil Palkhivala – 2011
- Yoga for Children (Yoga Bees) – 2009
- Diploma of Yoga Teaching & Yoga Nidra (1700 hour training) – 2007-2009
- Certificate in Yogic Studies and Gurukal Lifestyle (Bihar Yoga Bharati) – 2006-7
- Over 700 hours of personal study with Bhooma Chaitanya, teacher of the Hatha & Advaita traditions. – 2005-7
- Ancestral Healing Intensive with Daniel Foor – 2019
- Hormone Harmony: Red School
- Voice Workshop with Chloe Goodchild – 2012
- The Max (Autobiographical theatre) with Paula Shaw at Esalen – 2015
- NC Performing Arts: Edinburgh College – 2001-2
- Certificates in Thai, Tibetan and Ayurvedic Massage. – 2004-7
- Classical Western & Classical Indian Vocal Training
- Many retreats in insight meditation and Advaita Vedanta with teachers such as Adyashanti, Marlies Cocheret, Jack Kornfield, S.N Goenka, Prajnaparamita and many years of mindfulness practice & retreats. 2000 – present
- I began dancing 5 rhythms at the age of 19 and have explored many conscious dance forms since then.